Untitled Document
 
 
Logo Punjab Police
Untitled Document
  Cities & Town District Rupnagar
Anandpur Sahib :
On the left bank of the Sutlej river, 40 kilometers from Rupnagar town, is situated Anandpur Sahib, the "abode of bliss". In the background is the Naina Devi range.The town of Anandpur Sahib was founded by Guru Teg Bahadur, the ninth Sikh Guru. The Guru had left Baba Bakala in the Amritsar district and purchased the land from the Raja of Bilaspur.It was also at Anandpur Sahib that Kashmiri Pandits approached ninth Guru to save them from Mughals tyranny. Acceding their request on the motivation of Guru Gobind Singh Ji, Shri Guru Teg Bahadur Ji left for Delhi to make Supreme Sacrifice. At Anandpur Sahib Great tenth Guru of Sikhs Guru Gobind Singh Ji spent his early age. It was here that great Guru mastered the use of arms in Kila Anandgarh Sahib. The Holla Mohalla of Anandpur Sahib is an out standing festival of the Sikhs, which is celebrated with great pomp and show on the day following the Holi festival.
Chamkaur Sahib :
Situated on the banks of Sirhind Canal, Chamkaur Sahib is at a distance of 15 km from Morinda and 16 km from Rupnagar. Guru Gobind Singh and his two elder sons and 40 followers had come to this place from Kotla Nihang with his pursuers close on his heels.They came in the garden said to be of Raja Bidhi Chand, where now Gurudwara Damdama Sahib stands.
Kiratpur Sahib :
Situated on the bank of river Sutlej, Kiratpur Sahib is at a distance of about 10 km from Anandpur Sahib towards the south, on the Nangal-Rupnagar-Chandigarh road. It is sacred to the Sikhs and they immerse the ashes of their dead at this place. It has a long association with Guru Nanak Dev is said to have visited this place.
Morinda :
Morinda is situated on the state highway connecting Chandigarh and Ludhiana and also on Sirhind -Nangal Railway line. It is a distance of about 25 KMs from the district headquarters and 30 km from Chandigarh. Morinda is an old town which is believed to trace its name from Mor Jats. With the lapse of time, it came to be known as Moran and then Morinda. It is also known as Baganwala (the place of Gardens), because of numerous gardens of mango trees in the area. Even though the mango growers have largely disappeared, many people of this area continue to call it Baganwala.
Nangal :
Sutlej Sadan, Nangal
Situated at the feet of the Shiwalik Hills, Nangal is at a distance of 60 km from Rupnagar, the district headquarters. The City is surrounded by beautiful environment of hills, river and canals and is an important center for tourists visiting the district. It is divided into two parts, Nangal Township and Naya Nangal. The town was named Nangal by acquiring land of three villages viz. Nangal Nikku, Hambewal and Dubheta. It gained importance with the starting of the construction of Bhakra Dam on Satluj river in November, 1955. It is flourishing township of tourist attraction due to the mighty multi purpose Bhakra Project which includes apart from Bhakra Dam, the Nangal Dam, Nangal Hydel Channel, Ganguwal and Kotla Power Houses. Towards the north stands the beautiful township called Naya Nangal which serves mainly Fertilizer Complex of National Fertilizers Limited (NFL), a public sector undertaking of Government of India. The Nangal Fertilizer and Heavy Water Factory located here, started production in 1961 and is the single largest consumer of electricity from the Bhakra House. There is a temple of Lakshmi Narain which is run by the Sanatan Dharam Sabha, Nangal Township.
Rupnagar :

Rupnagar city also has the status of district headquarters with the creation of Rupnagar District on Ist Nov, 1966. Situated on the bank of river Satluj, Sirhind canal passes through the heart of the city. It was formerly known as Ropar.

The town of Rupnagar occupies a prominent place in the ancient and medieval history and has an importance in modern history too. Recent excavations suggest that Rupnagar was one of the oldest towns in the Punjab. The relics excavated from a mound, known as Nalagarh Tibbi near the Government College reveal that the town had flourished in the past with a very advanced civilization similar to Harappa and Mohenjodaro Civilization. The small city of Rupnagar occupies a prominent place in the modern history also.

Sutlej River, Rupnagar
Maharaja Ranjit Singh Garden
Near the Ropar Headworks there is a Tourist Bungalow and Boating Complex known as Pincassia, run by Punjab Tourism Development Corporation. The complex provides boarding and lodging facilities to the visitors and has a restaurant and beer bar. Almost all the district offices which were scattered in different parts of the town have been concentrated in a single building known as 'Mini Secretariat'. The city has many worth seeing sites in and around it, such as Head Works, Pincassia Boat Club, Treaty Place of Maharaja Ranjit Singh and Lord William Bentick, Site of Indus Valley Civilization, Maharaja Ranjit Singh Bagh.
 
Untitled Document
Photo Gallery | Press Release |
Call Us : 1800-1800-1000
Copyright © 2013 Rupnagar Police. All Rights Reserved